Who We Are
Alabama Arise is a statewide, member-led organization advancing public policies to improve the lives of Alabamians who are marginalized by poverty. Our membership includes faith-based, community, nonprofit and civic groups, grassroots leaders and individuals from across Alabama. Alabama Arise is a nonprofit organization, and our work is funded by private foundations and members like you. Our members select our annual legislative agenda, focusing on the issues that matter most to alleviate poverty and its effects.
Through Arise, groups and individuals join together to promote public policies to improve the lives of Alabamians who are marginalized by poverty.
Alabama Arise uses three kinds of activities to promote fairer public policies toward Alabamians with low incomes:
The Arise policy team studies current state policies and legislative proposals and analyzes their impact on people living in or near poverty.
Arise organizes members and people with low incomes to speak out on the development of public policies that affect their lives.
Arise works to equip its members for active participation in the democratic process, including legislative advocacy.
Alabama Arise is a statewide, member-led organization advancing public policies to improve the lives of Alabamians who are marginalized by poverty.
Our membership includes faith-based, community, nonprofit and civic groups, grassroots leaders and individuals from across Alabama.
Arise envisions an Alabama...
... where all people have resources and opportunities to reach their potential to live happy, productive lives, and each successive generation is ensured a secure and healthy future.
... where all government leaders are responsive, inclusive and justice-serving, and the people are engaged in the policy-making process.
... where all people live with concern for the common good and respect for the humanity of every person.
Our Core Values
- Agape – We strive to practice unconditional love, an understanding good will that suffers and works for life for all.
- Racial, social, economic and environmental justice – We seek fairness and a high quality of life for all Alabamians.
- Truth-telling – We speak the truth to those in power.
- Universal access – We believe every person deserves access to the resources necessary for functioning in society and achieving full potential.
- The credibility of people experiencing poverty – We believe the people closest to the problem are the experts.
- Structural change – We believe the primary causes of poverty are systemic, not individual.
- Participatory democracy – Well-informed members determine our agenda and shape public policy decisions.
- High integrity – We will not compromise our values to win.
- Mutual respect – We strive to be sensitive to the deeply held beliefs of member groups.
- Racial equity and inclusion – We see racial equity as both a structural outcome and an intentional process within all areas of our work, including policy analysis, organizing and advocacy.
Our Long-Term Goals
- A fair, adequate, simple and transparent state tax system.
- A restorative criminal justice system rather than a punitive system (including abolition of the death penalty).
- A new state constitution that reflects our core values.
- A state budget that provides adequate services (such as education, child care, health care and transportation) to ensure all Alabamians have the opportunity to reach their full potential.
- Wages, benefits and policies that provide economic security for all working people in the state.
- Safe, affordable, accessible and adequate housing for all Alabamians.
2023 Policy Priorities
Alabama Arise's members select our policy priorities during our annual membership meeting each fall. To learn more about joining Arise and supporting our member-led policy agenda, click here.
- Adequate state budgets for education, health care, child care and other human services
- Tax reform
- Voting rights
- Criminal justice reform, including retroactive application of state sentencing guidelines and repeal of the Habitual Felony Offender Act
- Death penalty reform
- Public transportation
- Payday and title lending reform
Want to know what's happening at the state house?
Read the Daily News Digest
Sign up for the Arise Daily News Digest to receive a daily roundup of news and opinions from across Alabama and across the country on issues important to Arise supporters.