The partial federal government shutdown will enter its second month next week, and the stakes are high for Alabama families. Here are five things you need to know about how the shutdown will affect food assistance in Alabama:
- Most Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) participants will see their February 2019 benefits issued around Sunday, Jan. 20, 2019.
- These benefits are early, not extra. So if participants get February benefits in January, they will NOT get any more benefits in February.
- Some participants will not get February benefits in January. But they should get their benefits as usual in February, if they turn in all required paperwork.
- Benefits in March may be lower or unavailable if the government shutdown continues then.
- Benefits on EBT cards will be valid for a year after issuance, no matter what the government does.