Fact Sheet

Rental assistance resources to prevent evictions in Alabama

Affordable housing advocates rally outside the Alabama State House in Montgomery in 2015.

Are you facing eviction, or is a renter at your property unable to pay rent?

Evictions in Alabama are resuming now that the U.S. Supreme Court has overturned the federal eviction moratorium. If you are facing eviction because you cannot pay your rent, you may be able to receive emergency rental assistance. For a list of agencies serving various parts of the state, see below or visit the National Low Income Housing Coalition’s resource page at

Landlords can apply for these funds as well. Processing of claims has been slow, but more than 80% of applications processed so far have resulted in payments. If you need help completing the application, you can call the phone number(s) or visit the website listed for each location below. (Click here for a downloadable PDF of this resource list.)

Agency contact information

Baldwin County: Call 251-277-9969 or visit

City of Birmingham: Call 205-778-2091 or visit

City of Huntsville: Call 256-535-2489 or 2-1-1, or visit

Jefferson County outside Birmingham: Visit To receive application assistance that is available through partner organizations, call 205-326-0162, 205-328-4292 or 205-930-0309.

Madison County outside Huntsville: Call 844-804-9454 or visit

Mobile County: Call 855-209-4970 or visit

Montgomery County: Call 833-823-0007 or 334-261-6186, or visit

MoWa Choctaw Housing Authority: Call 251-829-9023 or visit

Tuscaloosa County: Call 888-472-0027 or visit

Anywhere in Alabama not listed above: Call 833-620-2434 or visit

These assistance programs can allow renters to remain in the homes they are renting. The programs can allow landlords to be paid fully for all back rent and for rent in future months as well. Applicants should inform the court where the eviction case is filed that they have a rental assistance application in process.