Thank you for your interest in working with Alabama Arise. We work every day to build a better Alabama for all through research, organizing and advocacy. We believe in a state that offers justice, mercy and opportunity for everyone, and we believe better public policy is essential to make that vision a reality.
Current positions available
Alabama Arise is hiring a Development Director to help sustain and strengthen our movement for dignity, equity and justice for all Alabamians. Scroll down for more information and details on how to apply.
The Alabama Equal Voice Network, of which Arise is a member, seeks a Network Weaver to facilitate relationships between Arise and other partners in the network. Click here for more details on AEVN’s position.
Alabama Arise is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, sex, age, disability, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable law.
Alabama Arise is a statewide nonprofit, nonpartisan coalition of congregations, organizations and individuals united in our belief that people in poverty are suffering because of state policy decisions. We recognize the decisive role that racism plays in creating barriers to political participation and economic equality, and we have made an organizational commitment to increase racial equity in all that we do. Alabama Arise Action is our 501(c)(4) partner organization.
Through Alabama Arise and Alabama Arise Action, groups and individuals join together to promote state policies to improve the lives of people living in poverty. Arise members vote annually to choose our policy priorities. Using policy analysis, advocacy and organizing, Arise provides a structure in which Alabamians can engage in public debates to promote the common good.
Alabama Arise is growing our staff, and our Development Team is growing, too. We seek a Development Director to sustain, manage and grow our grants portfolio and to manage and grow our individual and group membership program. This position will supervise our part-time Membership Development Coordinator.
The ideal candidate values dignity, opportunity, racial justice and democratic decision making. This opportunity will be exciting for someone who enjoys relationship management and donor stewardship; has excellent writing and research skills; and enjoys strategic planning, organizational development and team-based project management. This job is ideal for someone who wants to come to work every day thinking about building a statewide infrastructure to support social justice, grassroots leadership and the power of everyday people to make Alabama better.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND TASKS
- Sustain and grow Arise’s $1.3 million grants portfolio, including managing all grant applications, reports and funder relationships, and identifying and pursuing new funding opportunities to support Arise’s strategic vision and mission for our 501(c)(3) and our 501(c)(4) entities.
- Utilize grants management software to keep Arise staff on track with grant reporting and deliverables.
- Sustain and grow our member and member group giving portfolio, in partnership with the Membership Development Coordinator and the Office Manager, to support the work of Alabama Arise and Alabama Arise Action.
- Supervise the implementation of individual and group giving stewardship plans with the Membership Development Coordinator and review all donor communications.
- Coordinate with Campaign, Communications, Operations, Organizing and Policy staff to ensure grant compliance.
- Supervise subgrants and coordinate subgrantee partnerships to ensure grant compliance and support strategic goals.
- Participate in all Arise staff meetings, leadership team meetings and board meetings and serve as staff liaison with the board development committee.
- Participate in strategic visioning to align Arise’s development strategy with strategic plans.
- Strong commitment to the mission and values of Alabama Arise.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field, and/or experience commensurate with the required knowledge and skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed and when conditions allow.
- Demonstrated fundraising experience and familiarity with the local and/or national funding landscape; priority given to those who have experience with fundraising for policy, advocacy or organizing.
- Ability to commute to and work in Arise’s Montgomery office when conditions allow. (Note: Arise’s office is closed for the foreseeable future due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All staff will work remotely for the remainder of 2020 and likely for much of 2021.)
- Ability to meet deadlines, solve problems, work collaboratively and juggle multiple tasks.
The Development Director is a full-time position that reports to the Executive Director. The salary range is $58,000 to $63,000 annually, in addition to a full benefits package including health and dental coverage, an annual retirement contribution, paid vacation, family leave and sick leave, and professional development opportunities.
Candidates should live in or be willing to relocate to Alabama and be available to travel as needed to our Montgomery office and to various in-state and out-of-state events. At present, all Arise staff members are working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic, but in the future, this position will report to our Montgomery office on a regular basis.
HOW TO APPLY
Email a resume, cover letter and two professional writing samples to email@example.com by Sunday, Aug. 30, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. CDT. Please submit any attachments as PDFs. Use the subject line “Development Director.” Examples of relevant writing samples include but are not limited to grant applications, fundraising appeals, blog posts and strategic plans.
The position will be open until filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. No calls, please.