Thank you for your interest in working with Alabama Arise. We work every day to build a better Alabama for all through research, organizing and advocacy. We believe in a state that offers justice, mercy and opportunity for everyone, and we believe better public policy is essential to make that vision a reality.
Current positions available
Alabama Arise is hiring a Development Associate. More details on the position and information on how to apply are below.
Alabama Arise is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, sex, age, disability, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable law.
Alabama Arise is seeking a full-time Development Associate to steward and grow our individual and group member giving programs.
The ideal candidate will be committed to building relationships with members and donors. They will have a proven ability to build reciprocal relationships with members from every background and community in our state and to foster trusting relationships. They will advocate for more equitable policy solutions, with attention to the roles of race, poverty, age and immigration status in health care access, and regularly include others in planning and decision-making. They will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment without sacrificing input or quality. And they will have the resilience to navigate setbacks with an eye toward new opportunities.
Who we are
Alabama Arise is a statewide nonprofit, nonpartisan coalition of congregations, organizations and individuals united in our belief that people in poverty are suffering because of state policy decisions. We also recognize the decisive role that racism plays in creating barriers to political participation and economic equality. Through Arise, groups and individuals join together to promote state policies to improve the lives of people living in poverty. Using policy analysis, advocacy and organizing, Arise provides a structure in which Alabamians can engage in public debates to promote the common good.
Alabama Arise seeks a Development Associate to assist in planning and implementation of all fundraising strategies, support the development office and manage, steward and grow our individual and member giving portfolio. The Development Associate will report to the Development Director and work closely with the communications team to ensure the timely solicitation and stewardship of individual donors and member groups.
The ideal candidate is passionate about building a better Alabama for all and values dignity, racial equity, justice and opportunity. We are looking for someone who is passionate about ensuring that Alabama’s communities have the resources they need to implement community-based solutions and policies to alleviate poverty and inequity. This job is for you if you love customer service and are enthusiastic, flexible, detail-oriented and focused.
Major functions and tasks
- Work with the Executive Director and the Development Director to develop annual and long-term fundraising goals.
- Develop, coordinate and execute an annual member giving plan using a multimedia approach including direct mail, email, social media and phone contact to meet Arise’s annual goals.
- Research and facilitate new opportunities to make it easy for individuals to join and maintain financial support.
- Identify, cultivate and maintain relationships with major donors and develop effective strategies for the successful acquisition of major gifts.
- Collect and analyze data related to membership growth and member giving and report regularly to Arise staff and Development Director.
- Analyze data to plan and implement targeted appeals to different subsets of Arise membership.
- Maintain contact with member groups to ensure collection of annual membership dues, including timely renewal reminders, personal contacts, thank-you letters and reporting.
- Assist in the cultivation of relationships with foundations and religious bodies, including grant writing, reporting and collection of data for reports.
- Coordinate with the Development Director to ensure that the Arise mission and current policy issues are accurately and clearly articulated in fundraising communications.
- Coordinate tasks with the Office Assistant.
- Other duties as assigned by the Development Director and the Executive Director.
- Strong commitment to the mission and values of Alabama Arise.
- Knowledge of the community, including nonprofit organizations/partners, and a good understanding of the social and economic structure of the communities in Alabama.
- Commitment to professional development and personal growth.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, and/or experience commensurate with the required knowledge and skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel to the Montgomery office and other locations as needed.
- Ability to meet deadlines, solve problems, work collaboratively and juggle multiple tasks.
- Strong written communication skills, including the ability to write clear, structured, articulate and persuasive appeals.
- Ability to think creatively, tactically, strategically and adaptively when a change in direction is needed
- Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies.
The Development Associate is a full-time position that reports to the Development Director. The salary range is $45,000 to $50,000 annually, in addition to a full benefits package including health, dental and vision coverage, retirement, paid vacation and sick leave, and generous professional development opportunities.
The position will be based in Arise’s Montgomery office. However, alternative work location arrangements may be made if the best qualified candidate is located elsewhere.
How to apply
Email a resume, cover letter, two professional writing samples and contact information for three references to by Monday, June 14, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. CDT. Use the subject line “Development Associate.” No calls, please.