Thank you for your interest in working with Alabama Arise. We work every day to build a better Alabama for all through research, organizing and advocacy. We believe in a state that offers justice, mercy and opportunity for everyone, and we believe better public policy is essential to make that vision a reality.
Current positions available
Hunger Advocacy Coordinator
Alabama Arise is a statewide nonprofit, nonpartisan coalition of congregations, organizations and individuals united in our belief that people in poverty are suffering because of state policy decisions. We also recognize the decisive role that racism plays in creating barriers to political participation and economic equality. Through Arise, groups and individuals join together to promote state policies to improve the lives of people living in poverty. Using policy analysis, advocacy and organizing, Arise provides a structure in which Alabamians can engage in public debates to promote the common good.
Alabama Arise seeks a policy advocate and outreach coordinator to work on hunger and nutrition-related policy issues affecting low-income Alabamians. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with strong communications, writing and research skills, a talent for coalition-building, and a demonstrated interest in hunger and nutrition policy issues at the local, state and/or federal level.
Major functions and tasks
- In partnership with allied organizations, expand and lead a coalition in forging and implementing a common agenda and action plan designed to reduce hunger and improve nutrition in Alabama.
- In partnership with allied organizations, engage in advocacy efforts to oppose harmful changes to federal nutrition programs.
- In partnership with allied organizations and local communities, conduct advocacy efforts to improve and expand child nutrition programs.
- Identify, train and engage networks of grassroots anti-hunger advocates.
- Coordinate technical assistance to schools and communities seeking to improve access to nutrition programs.
- Monitor state and federal nutrition policy developments that affect low-income families and people of color in Alabama.
- Develop and maintain relationships with nutrition program administrators, opinion leaders and policy stakeholders.
- Research and write materials that advance Arise’s anti-hunger mission, including issue briefs, fact sheets, blog posts, social media graphics and other materials related to hunger policy.
- Provide information to policymakers, the media, advocates and the public through written materials, testimony and presentations.
- Represent Alabama Arise before community groups, policymakers and media.
- Work collaboratively with Arise’s policy, organizing and communications staff to produce accessible communications and civic engagement materials to translate complex policy issues for consumption by the public.
- Dedication to the mission and values of Alabama Arise.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout Alabama.
- Knowledge of federal and state policy issues related to addressing hunger and improving nutrition.
- Community organizing or other relevant community outreach experience.
- Ability to meet deadlines, solve problems and juggle multiple tasks.
- This is a full-time position that reports to the Policy Director.
- Alabama Arise offers a competitive salary and benefits including health, dental and vision coverage, retirement, paid vacation and sick leave.
$45,000 to $50,000 annually, plus 10% annual retirement contribution.
How to apply
Email a resume, a professional writing sample and contact information for three references to by Tuesday, September 10 at 5 p.m. CDT. Use the subject line “Hunger Advocacy Coordinator.”
Alabama Arise is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, sex, age, disability, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable law.