Thank you for your interest in working with Alabama Arise. We work every day to build a better Alabama for all through research, organizing and advocacy. We believe in a state that offers justice, mercy and opportunity for everyone, and we believe better public policy is essential to make that vision a reality.
Current positions available
Alabama Equal Voice Network Weaver and Conference Coordinator
Equal Voice is the Marguerite Casey Foundation’s belief that families can lead a movement to advance equitable public policies that support the well-being of all families. The foundation created regional Equal Voice Networks of grassroots organizations (comprised mostly of Foundation grantees) to create the infrastructure for such a movement.
Equal Voice Networks are facilitated by individuals the foundation refers to as “network weavers.” This video explains more about the role of the network weaver.
The strongest Equal Voice networks are those that have a network weaver who assists grantees in building and strengthening their network. The foundation supports network weavers in regions across the country to facilitate ongoing communication and coordinated action.
Each network hires one weaver to facilitate its work. A committee designated by network’s members oversees the work of the weaver. The network weaver is paid a salary that is funded by a project grant from the foundation and funneled through the network’s host organization.
Alabama’s Equal Voice Network includes the following organizations. While diverse in size, programming and mission, we share a common goal of advocating for working families:
- Alabama Arise
- Alabama Coalition for Immigrant Justice
- Alabama Institute for Social Justice
- Greater Birmingham Ministries
- Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama
- VOICES for Alabama’s Children
We have identified a shared goal of creating an Alabama Equal Voice Advocacy Conference to lift up the voices of working families statewide. In addition to facilitating the network, the Weaver will be responsible for coordinating this first-ever statewide conference.
Network Weaver General Responsibilities
- Facilitate relationship building among network organizations to build and sustain effective collaborations and deepen movement-building efforts.
- Coordinate communications within the network, including keeping members up to date about meetings, network activities and opportunities for collaboration.
- Support the network through phases of growth and development, including providing network orientation for new member organizations and individual participants.
- Support the Steering Committee and the network in developing a strategic vision and work plan for network goals and activities.
- Coordinate logistics of planning the first annual Equal Voice Alabama Grassroots Advocacy and Policy Conference.
- Serve as liaison between the network and Marguerite Casey Foundation, including but not limited to sharing information and supporting network participation in grantee convening sessions, communications, media efforts and special requests.
Alabama Network Weaver Specific Duties
- Conference planning: Facilitate conference logistics, including:
- Convene conference planning meetings with steering committee members.
- Coordinate event space reservations, food and ticket sales.
- Manage the creation of a conference website and reservation page.
- Create conference program, agendas and supporting collateral.
- Coordinate staff from participating organizations in staffing the conference.
- Manage volunteers from participating organizations as needed.
- Fundraising: Renew the Network Weaver grant. Submit and manage sponsorship requests for the conference.
- PR/Communications: Support intra-network and external communications, including social media, to promote conference and other network events.
- Administrative: Facilitate network-related communications between the network and the Marguerite Casey Foundation, including emails, conference calls, communications and media opportunities and foundation staff participation in network meetings. Maintain master calendar of network meetings and events.
- Facilitate network meetings, including preparing agendas, note taking, presenting, coordinating as well as arranging venue, food and other logistics.
- Facilitate the nomination of one young person to receive the Sargent Shriver Youth Warriors against Poverty Award.
- Attend network events as well as network member organization events, rallies and actions, as needed.
- Participate in foundation, grantee and Network Weaver meetings, conference calls and webinars.
Network Weaver’s relationship to the Network
The network weaver serves the entire network, never any single group or any individual within the groups. In the spirit of Equal Voice, the network weaver ensures that each organization within the network has equal input and equal involvement in the agenda, direction and mission of the network. While the network weaver can be an employee of one of the network members, the network must keep network duties separate from that of his/her employer. The network weaver’s salary and pay schedule is set by the network, and any concerns relating to either must be resolved by the network.
This is a 9-month, $40,000 contract position to be housed at the Alabama Institute for Social Justice. The contract will begin on June 1, 2019, and end February 28, 2020. In addition to Weaver duties, the major deliverable of this contract position will be to orchestrate a statewide grassroots advocacy conference, to be hosted in Birmingham in January 2020.
This position may be based anywhere in the state, but candidates must be available for events and meetings in Central Alabama where the grantees reside.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and cover letter.
Alabama Arise is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, or veteran or military status in compliance with the law.