Thank you for your interest in working with Alabama Arise. We work every day to build a better Alabama for all through research, organizing and advocacy. We believe in a state that offers justice, mercy and opportunity for everyone, and we believe better public policy is essential to make that vision a reality.
Current positions available
Alabama Arise is hiring a Policy and Advocacy Director. The full job announcement and details on how to apply are below.
Alabama Arise is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, sex, age, disability, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable law.
Policy and Advocacy Director
Alabama Arise seeks a Policy and Advocacy Director to advance our work for dignity, equity and justice for Alabamians who are marginalized by poverty.
Who we are
Alabama Arise is a statewide nonprofit, member-led organization advancing public policies to improve the lives of Alabamians who are marginalized by poverty. Our membership includes faith-based, community, nonprofit and civic groups, grassroots leaders and individuals from across Alabama. We also recognize the decisive role that racism plays in creating barriers to political participation and economic equality and have an organizational commitment to advance racial equity and inclusion both internally and externally.
Through Arise, groups and individuals join together to promote public policies to improve the lives of Alabamians who are marginalized by poverty. Each year, Arise organizers engage directly impacted communities in community listening sessions, and our members propose legislative priorities for our proactive legislative agenda. The Arise policy team is key to advancing the priorities identified by our membership and base. By uniting policy analysis, advocacy and organizing, Arise provides a structure in which Alabamians can engage in public debates to promote the common good.
Our ideal candidate will be an experienced manager and public policy advocate. They have a proven ability to lead teams and coalitions and to foster trusting relationships with people from every background and walk of life. They advocate for more equitable policy solutions with attention to the role of class, race, age, ability and immigration status in access to power and opportunity, and they proactively include directly impacted people in planning and decision making. They are committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment without sacrificing input or quality, and they have the resilience to navigate setbacks with an eye toward new opportunities.
The Policy and Advocacy Director ensures Arise’s policy research and analysis, advocacy and legislative engagement have the most impact possible. This requires being knowledgeable about the political and advocacy landscape in each of our policy areas while coaching and training staff to be responsive and strategic in their work. As the leader of Arise’s policy team, they are also in charge of legislative campaigns and cultivating the relationships necessary to advance our goals through effective influence with policymakers. The Policy and Advocacy Director supervises a team of policy analysts, research assistants, advocates, fellows and interns, serving as a resource and supporting professional development. As a member of Arise’s leadership team, they are also a key contributor in working with the Executive Director and Development Director to identify, secure and maintain funding for Arise’s work and priorities.
Arise’s policy team has a strong focus on advocacy goals that are rooted in the lived experiences of our constituents, solid analysis and sound commitment to our core mission, vision and values. Our policy team includes advocates and analysts working on member-selected legislative and administrative advocacy goals, including state tax and budget equity, criminal justice reform, payday and title lending reform, death penalty reform and repeal, voting rights, workers’ rights, Medicaid expansion, consumer-driven Medicaid reform, health equity and health justice, food security policy and child nutrition implementation. The ideal candidate will be able to balance these issue priorities and push forward a robust advocacy and research agenda.
COVID-19 and remote work policy
Alabama Arise staff are working remotely at this time as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. We also have increased the number of staff based outside our Montgomery office, acknowledging that as our work has shifted to accommodate remote access, our reliance on in-person office meetings also has shifted. Arise now has staff based in Birmingham, Fairhope, Huntsville and Tuscaloosa. This position may be based in another Alabama city outside of Montgomery but will be expected to spend a significant portion of legislative sessions in Montgomery (minimum of three days per week) and be willing to travel to Montgomery or other locations for staff and board meetings as necessary.
- Manage and direct Alabama Arise policy and advocacy work
- Structure and lead teams to produce outstanding policy analysis, advocacy and public education materials.
- Oversee design and implementation of Arise issue campaigns, policy analysis and research.
- Coordinate community outreach and campaign planning with the Organizing Director and Campaign Director.
- Track the progress of issue campaigns and policy research products and move projects to completion.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with a wide array of allies and partners in the advocacy sector, policy officials and staff, and the media to further Arise’s organizational goals, while supporting the policy team to do the same.
- Working with and guided by the Communications Director, serve as a public spokesperson for Alabama Arise’s policy priorities with press and media outlets, while supporting the policy team to do the same.
- Identify best practices and emergent strategies in the field and lead integration of those practices and strategies at Arise.
- Guide Arise’s legislative and administrative advocacy strategies
- Coach Arise member groups on the submission of new issue proposals during the annual member issue selection process.
- Take an active role in planning, securing and participating in collaboration between Arise and a diverse range of coalition partners to ensure successful policy outcomes through effective legislative engagement, advocacy, lobbying, organizing and grassroots support.
- Build trusted working relationships with Alabama legislators and decision makers from across the political spectrum.
- Represent Arise by delivering and facilitating effective testimony in support of policy and legislative priorities.
- Guide and manage the legislative engagement of Arise policy staff, including submission of timely lobbyist registration and reporting forms.
- Serve as a key member of the Arise leadership team
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management consistent with Arise’s mission and values.
- Along with the Campaign Director, Communications Director, Development Director and Organizing Director, assist with setting a positive, professional, respectful, energetic and constructive organizational culture.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Development Director to secure funding support for Arise’s policy and advocacy goals.
- Lead the policy team in proactive goal setting, planning and staff evaluations.
- Attend and provide support at meetings of the Arise board and Arise’s Legislative Committee.
Keys to success
- Adopt a “problem solver” approach to organizational challenges.
- Be an open and available resource to colleagues across responsibility areas.
- Provide clear, timely feedback to managed staff on performance.
- Respond to inquiries from partners, stakeholders, media and funders in a timely manner.
- Adopt a proactive “manage up” posture with Arise’s Executive Director.
- Maintain a focus on our goals of timeliness, accuracy and accessibility.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
DIRECT REPORTS: Policy Analysts (x2), Hunger Policy Advocate, Policy Fellow, Health Policy Advocate (to be hired), Data Analyst
TRAVEL: Occasional travel within and out of state may be requested.
SALARY and BENEFITS: $65,000 ‒ $75,000. Arise also provides generous benefits including comprehensive health care, dental and vision coverage; generous vacation leave; and retirement plan contributions.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to with the subject line “Policy and Advocacy Director.” Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls or other email inquiries, please.